Oct 27, 2010

KARAMJIT EYES ANOTHER PODIUM FINISH AT LAKE KENYIR IN ROUND 3 OF MALAYSIAN RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP 2010


LAKE KENYIR, TERENGGANU - Karamjit Singh is looking for another podium finish to stake his claim for the overall title at the Malaysian Rally championship.

Only eight points separate him and the current leader as the championship enters Round 3 at the Kenyir Lake in Terengganu over the next three days covering a total distance of 467 kilometers.

Muhammad Rafiq Udhaya in his Subaru Impreza with co-driver Sean Gregory leads the charge with 24 points and Karamjit and company is next on 16 points. Andrew Miller and Manohar Menon in their Subaru Impreza is third with 13 points.

Naturally Karamjit, or better known as the Flying Sikh is his heydays where he once ruled the world, is eyeing a finish which will put him in a good position for the final showdown in Kangar in December.

"I am only eight points behind the leader and a strong finish over the weekend would help me close the gap and put me in a comfortable position for the final round in December.

"My philosophy over the years in my rallying career is to try and win every race I take part. Kenyir Lake would be no exception," said Karamjit.

Karamjit and his co-driver Douglas Pickering were the undisputed winner in Round 2 in Jempol, Negeri Sembilan two months ago in their Mitsubishi Lancer and the victory has given them a terrific boost for the overall title, come December.

"I always say that the first thing in rally is to stay clear of mechanical problems and I am praying my car will not give me any problem, before and during the race," added Karamjit.

But Muhammad Rafiq is not throwing in the towel just yet.

"I am still in the lead and the rest will have to beat me to dislodge me from the top. But we are all going into race without the benefit of having raced there (Lake Kenyir) before.

"So it's a question of who can adapt better to the conditions," said Muhammad Rafiq.

Japan's Katsu Taguchi, a former world rally participant, and his co-driver Jagdev Singh, who won the opening leg in Johor Baru in April, are lying fourth with 11 points and the rest of the field are keeping a close watch on the Japanese ace and his Mitsubishi Lancer.

Ends

No comments:

Post a Comment